How do I know if I have to take developmental education courses or not?

Recent legislative revisions to section 1008.30, Florida Statutes, may apply to you and your requirements for placement testing and developmental education enrollment.  Please read the following information carefully to see if you are eligible to meet the exemption.

Effective January 1, 2014:

Students are exempt from taking placement tests and enrolling in developmental education at any Florida College System institution if they:

  1. Entered the ninth grade in a Florida public school in 2003 or after, AND
  2. Graduated from a Florida public school, AND
  3. Earned a standard Florida high school diploma.


  • f they are a student who is serving as an active duty member of any branch of the U.S. Armed Services defined by the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services.

If you believe you meet the eligibility requirements for the exemption, talk to an Academic Advisor in the Advising Center located on the second floor of the Student Union. Upon verification of your exemption status using your official Florida high school transcript or active duty military status, you will receive advising about your course options can register for classes.

Non-Exempt Students

The following students are not eligible for the Developmental Education Exemption and will be required to take the PERT or other placement test and enroll in the courses indicated by the placement score(s):

  • Students who graduated from a high school out-of-state 
  • Homeschooled students
  • Private school students
  • Students who earned a GED
  • Private charter school students‚Äč 

If you are currently enrolled in a developmental education course(s), you are strongly advised to complete your course sequence. You should also be aware of the financial aid implications should you choose to discontinue developmental coursework.

Cut off PERT scores for placement testing are: 103 for Writing, 106 for Reading, and 114 for Math. If a non-exempt student takes the PERT and does not score high enough to place into college-credit coursework, developmental classes will be required.

Questions about placement are answered by academic advisors in the Advising Center. You can find more information on placement testing through our Testing Center.

** Transfer students who have not successfully completed an English and/or math course at a previous college and do not opt for the Developmental Education Exemption will be required to provide placement test scores for placement in the appropriate subject area(s).

Need Help? |   Ask a Question  |  Call (850) 201-8440


Print Article


Article ID: 21117
Wed 12/7/16 2:35 PM
Tue 2/13/24 5:12 PM