How do I know if I have to take developmental education courses or not?

Beginning January 2014, revisions to section 1008.30, Florida Statutes, state that a student who entered ninth grade in a Florida public school in the 2003-2004 school year, or any year thereafter, and earned a Florida standard high school diploma from a Florida public high school or a student who is serving as an active duty member of any branch of the United States Armed Services shall not be required to take the common placement test and shall not be required to enroll in developmental education instruction in a Florida College System institution. However, a student who is not required to take the common placement test and is not required to enroll in developmental education under this paragraph may opt to be assessed and to enroll in developmental education instruction, and the college shall provide such assessment and instruction upon the student’s request.

If you are currently enrolled in a developmental education course(s), you are strongly advised to complete your course sequence. You should also be aware of the financial aid implications should you choose to discontinue developmental coursework.

If you believe this exemption applies to you, you will need to provide proof of your exemption (high school transcript—available in Student Records and Records in the Student Union) and meet with an academic advisor in the TCC Advising Center, located in Student Union Room 207.

Cutoff scores for placement are: 103 writing, 106 for reading, and 114 for math. If a non-exempt student takes the PERT and does not score high enough to place into college-credit coursework, developmental classes will be required. Questions about placement can be answered by an advisor in the Advising Center.

** Transfer students who have not successfully completed an English and/or math course at a previous college and do not opt for the Developmental Education Exemption will be required to provide placement test scores for placement in the appropriate subject area(s).

Need Help? |   Ask a Question  |  Call (850) 201- 4444


Print Article


Article ID: 21176
Wed 12/7/16 2:50 PM
Wed 10/4/17 4:39 PM