My parent will not supply his/her information for my FAFSA. What can I do?

You can’t be considered independent of your parents just because they refuse to help you with this process. If you do not provide their information on the FAFSA form, the application will be considered “rejected,” and you might not be able to receive any federal student aid. The most you would be able to get would be a loan called an unsubsidized Direct Loan. The FAFSA instructions will tell you what to do if you are in this situation.

For a student to be eligible for this unsubsidized loan provision you must get documentation (1) that his/her parents refuse to complete his/her FAFSA and (2) that they do not and will not provide any financial support to him. Include the date support ended. If the parents refuse to sign and date a statement to this effect, you must get documentation from a third party (the student himself is not sufficient), such as a teacher, counselor, cleric, or court.

Need Help? |   Ask a Question  |  Call (850) 201-8399



Article ID: 21131
Wed 12/7/16 2:39 PM
Thu 10/26/23 7:09 PM